Solar Gel battery is using gel as electrolyte instead of liquid acid. Gel is usually produced by homogeneous dispersion of pyrogenic silica in diluted sulfuric acid. Pyrogenic silica is a kind of powder of very well dispersed SiO, which absorb more than 10 times of its weight acid liquid to produce gel. Because of the thixotropic property of gel, the agglomerates are connecting themselves together as a network which keeps the liquid inside and become gel structure after a certain gelling time. The Gel battery has no liquid inside, the electrolytes is in gel form and stand solid between positive and negative plate inside battery.
Technical features of Gel battery technology
• Using gel as electrolyte
• Plate thickness tolerance is not critical since the high compression of plates group assembly is not necessary
• More electrolytes for better contact with plates and active materials and container walls, it is good for releasing internal heat and cooling battery temperature.
• Using the extra microporous separator which can:a/ reduce the depolarization of the negative electrode and avoid negative plate sulphationb/ without any liquid, significantly decreases thermal runawayc/ Help to prevent short circuits by dendrite growth between the positive and negative plates during deep discharge
• Better vent valve design to lower gas leaking rate to extend battery lifetime.
Advantages Of Solar Gel Battery Are
• Maintenance free, no need to add water
• Safe operation since no liquid inside
• Can be installed sideways ( upside-down is not recommended )
• Long cycle life
• Low self-discharge makes shelf life longer.
• Long standby life due to its ability to keep electrolyte inside and steady
• Performance stays high and stable until the end of life
• Tolerance to abuse and heat during operation, good for extreme weather
- Top-Up the Battery only With Distilled Water One needs to top-up inverter battery with distilled water only. Normal tap water and RO water should not be used for top-up as they contain dirt and other impurities that can shorten the battery life.
- Cleaning of Battery Terminals Make sure to periodically check the inverter battery water level every 45 days and ensure that the water level is not below the minimum level.
- Always Store & Install Battery in an Airy Space Always make sure that the inverter battery is placed in an open or airy place which will provide natural cooling air circulation to counter the inverter battery heating problem.
- Keep the Inverter Battery Away From Inflammable Objects It is recommended to place the inverter battery in a safe place away from flammable and` volatile objects which could set the inverter battery on fire and cause a disaster.
- Keep the Battery Surface Clean It is absolutely important that the inverter battery’s surface is always clean and dust free. The best way to clean the surface of inverter battery is to use a clean cotton cloth to wipe off the dirt.